Monday, February 6, 2012

A Gloriette View of Schönbrunn: Today's Travel Photo

(Photo by Cheryl-Anne Millsap)




The upside of a decidedly warmer-than-usual winter is that I've been daydreaming about gardens. Not only my own small backyard plot, but the grand gardens I've visited on my travels.
Some of the grandest are the gardens at the Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna, Austria.

I took this photo of the Gloriette on the hill overlooking the formal gardens on a beautiful early-autumn day. The grass was still green and the flowers were still in full-bloom.

The beautiful structure crowns the hillside and was once used as a dining room. Damaged in WWII, it was restored in the mid-1990s.

If you visit Schönbrunn, save an hour or so to tour the monuments, gardens and fountains surrounding the palace. The stroll to the Gloriette is lovely and the view is worth every step.

No comments:

Post a Comment